"Art makes life, makes interest, makes importance"

January 5, 2012

The best fiction I read in 2011

Like in the film category, I read about thrice as many novels as those I blogged about, but here I will keep to the blogged ones. And also like in the case of film, I used a guidebook (one that is fun to read for its own sake!), The Rough Guide to Classic Novels, to structure my reading. Besides that, but partly overlapping, I read some Victorian fiction (mainly Trollope and Collins) and I concentrated on a few contemporary authors I like because of their concise style in English: McEwan, Ishiguro and Coetzee. I gave no points to the books in my posts, but will do that now, retroactively.

10 points
Emma by Jane Austen
Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford

9 points
Candide by Voltaire
French Lieutenants Woman by John Fowles
Handful of Dust by Waugh
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

8 points
Basil by Wilkie Collins
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro
Solar by Ian McEwan
Summertime by Coetzee
Way We Live Now by Trollope

The three greatest discoveries were The Good Soldier, The French Lieutenants Woman (I mistakenly thought this would be a simple historical romance) and A Handful of Dust.

The greatest Victorian discovery on the list is - despite its flaws -  Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon.